Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My first “Monk” fanfic Draft


Brief Introduction (For those who has never watched Monk)

Monk is a US television show about the private detective Adrian Monk. Monk is afflicted by obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and multiple phobias. He is a gifted detective who worked for the San Francisco Police Department until his wife, Trudy died in a car bomb attack. Monk believed that accident was intended for him and he was breakdown after that. He was fired by the police office and he became a shut-in. With the help of his nurse Sharona and later his personal assistant Natalie, he was able to go out of his house and worked as a police consultant. The OCD and plethora of phobias lead to very embarrassed situations and cause problems for Monk and anyone around him when he investigates the cases. However, these same personal struggles, particularly the OCD, also made him to be able to solve cases. Just as his catchphrase says, “It’s a gift, and a curse.”


Mr Monk and the Vampire


Plot: Natalie was dating a new guy, Josh. He is tall, good looking but dejected. They planned to travel to the Ruins Hotel, in a small town near San Francisco. Mr Monk was a little bit jealous of that guy and he tried to hold her back. Certainly, he failed since Natalie was so fascinated with Josh. So Mr. Monk decided to go with them, also he took Julie, Natalie’s 12 years old daughter. No doubt Mr Monk suffered a lot in a ruin. Everything there seems horrible for Mr Monk! Dusty, dilapidated, spider web everywhere and ruined. In the first night they arrived, the landlord told a saga of Vampire in this hotel. Unexpectedly, the “Vampire” came out that night, kidnapped Julie and killed two people! Is it a real vampire? Is the saga true? And why did Julie become the suspect? Who is the “Vampire”? Here we go...


Chapter One


Natalie Teeger stared at Mr. Adrian Monk opposite the table. He was focusing on his three pieces of bacon that she had ordered for him.
“What ----is ----- wrong, Mr. Monk?” asked Natalie and sighed
“There is three--- three pieces of bacon. Th…that’s un-even.” Monk twiddled his thumbs and murmuring nervously.
Natalie stood up suddenly, and reached over across the table and snatched the third piece, and chewed it emphatically.
“Ok, problem solved,” she said, after engulfing “the third” bacon. Monk nodded and began to carefully cut a perfectly square of the bread. Natalie showed the whites of eyes. “Okokok, I will cut it next time! And no—third---bacon!” She said.
“It should be even…..”, said Monk, “just even…..you know…” he insisted.
Monk stared down at a water spotted fork. He and Natalie were dining in a restaurant near his apartment. But Mr Monk looked as if he were ill. The fork had water spots! It was wrong, it was horrible…It drove Monk absolutely mad.
“Do you want me to ask for another fork, Mr. Monk?” Natalie asked quickly, a fake smile frozen on her lips.
“Please, Natalie,” Monk said weakly, holding the fork and still staring at it.
Natalie raped the fork and went up to the front counter, explaining about Monk’s phobias and about how he wanted a fork without water spots. The girl at the counter looked confused, and finally she got it and went into the back to find a cleaner-looking fork.
Natalie thanked her, took the fork, examined it, and took it back to the table, handed it to Monk.
“Here you are, Mr. Monk,” Natalie said as if she relieved of a heavy load.
“Thank you, Natalie, thank you” Monk answered, once again checked it again and started to cut a perfectly square piece of food.
Natalie ignored the urge to laugh at loud and looked for her cell phone in her purse and texted Josh, her new boyfriend. “Oh, he is so cute…” she looked at the picture on her cell phone screen and smiled.
It might be a little bit before I get to your place…Mr. Monk is cutting his food into perfectly square bites. Kiss with love.
Natalie pressed “send” and then started to watch Mr. Monk cut up his food.
Suddenly, the cell phone began to vibrate in Natalie’s hand, and she flipped it open and began to read Josh’s text.
Natalie smiled at how Josh was trying to be cool and use chatspeak. She closed her phone, not replying to the message, and turned her head upwards towards Monk. Monk was looking at her with question mark in his brown eyes.
“Josh says ‘hi’.” Natalie said this quickly; as if she was afraid something else might come out of her mouth. She was hesitate.
“How did he say that? He’s not here,” Monk pointed out, finishing his last, perfect bite.
“He texted me,” Natalie explained. “Haven’t you ever texted before?” Her eyes wide opened.
“I don’t think so,” Monk said replied nervously.
“Anyhow, here’s the thing…” Natalie sighed, and decided to tell Monk finally,” I need one day off, Mr Monk….”
“For what?” asked Monk, all of a sweat.
“Well, Josh and I planned to travel to the Ruins Hotel…….” Natalie murmured vacillatingly and anxiously.
“What? The Ruins? What are you going to do at ruins?” Monk burst out.
“It’s not a ruin, it’s just a hotel! Anyway, I need to have one day off…Josh invited me to…”
“One day? You mean you are going to leave me alone for the whole day? “Monk shouted, “Oh, Natalie, ohnonono, you won’t do that to me.”
“You can stay at home, reading books, watching Trudy’s diary, whatever…..and Julie will be with you….”
“Wwwait,” Monk interrupted her alarmedly.” Julie is not going with you?”
“Yep,” smiled Natalie, “Only Josh and I, we’d like to spend some time without others.”
Monk glared at her, his brow furrowed, as if he never knew her. That guy, that tall, cold blood, depressing guy will spend a whole day with his dear personal assistant, Natalie together? He cannot help envying him!
“You can not leave me alone…..” Monk murmured against this bad news.
“Well…you can come with us if you want,” Natalie said, leaning against the chair and smiling malevolently. She bet Monk won’t come because of his ODC and phobias. He cannot even stand for a fork with water spots, how can he go to a ruin?
Monk was shocked, looked as if he was killed by this suggestion. He scowled at Natalie, gray-faced and struggled. After 10 minutes deathly stillness, he said, slowly and torpidly, “When?”
A cry sprang from Natalie’s lips: “What? What did you say?” She cannot believe what she heard.
“I said”, Monk breathed deeply,” I will go with you.” He stood up, made the chair parallel the side of the table, and then left the restaurant.
“Are you mad? It’s the Ruins Hotel…..” She was startled and her mouth wide opened.
(to be continued)

7 comments:

Sal said...

I really like your story Ye.What I most like about it is the dialogue between Natalie and Monk. I've never watched Monk before but guided by the introduction you wrote and the plot outline i could enjoy the interaction and the ensuing drama as perhaps you intended .
I felt that the adjectives you used to describe 'how' they said and did various things was very informative as regards each of their characters. Nuances that you provided each character with, such as Natalie smiling at the text received from Josh , but not replying , suggest she is quite cool and collected. She also has a sense of humour which is clearly much needed on dealing with her brilliant but troubled boss.
By referring to Monks pained expression and breaking his speech down into short ,stuttered sentences expresses to me his struggle with even the most mundane of things.
I like that the dialogue reflects the plot and the outline and it gives the piece you wrote believable,coherent and amusing.
Now I want to go back and do an intro for mine!

Ye said...

Thanks sal. I m suffered with my poor English writing skills. You can see I kept using the same word to express Monk's nervous for example. I would like to refer to your writing and pick up some cool words :). Also I 'd like to draw some pics of the criminal scenes, that may be helpful.

Maggie said...

I think your fanfic is really well written!

It was really as if like the writers of the show Monk itself had written that and I thought that you captured the esscence of the show.

Although I have only watched a few episodes, maybe not even in full, I really believe that it could even like y'know be an episode of Monk! ^^

Although the only fault I think you could improve was some grammatical stuff... not sure if it would include as like improvement or anything like that but yeah, some grammer. :]

Other than, I enjoyed reading your fanfic! :D

Maggie said...

Just read Sal's comment.. I didn't really even notice your same use of words!

I think it makes it more like I dunno... reiforces his emotions and such? :]

Ye said...

Thanx for your comments: )I ll pay attention to the grammar next time. thank you~

Ash said...

Hey Ye,

Sorry for my late reply!

Really enjoyed your fanfic, made me giggle - especially about the water spots on the fork! that always gets me going!

I think it flowed really nicely just like an actual monk show would - i have only seen a couple but i got the gist. The way you used dialogue made the story easy to follow and out the characters voices into my head so it helped picture it actually happeneing - especially as in t/v they say alot and because you can see what they do they leave alot unsaid. you have done such an awosme job!

aah!

Are you going to continue it?

Devid said...

Monk is my all time Favorite tv show.The Story of the Show is Fantastic.I think monk is the Best character of the Show.I love this Show and i saw all the Seasons.I missed so many Episodes but i downloaded the Show.My Friend give me a Link to download monk Episodes.